This delicately Fine Mayonnaise is a classic homemade French mayonnaise recipe. Excellent if made exactly according to the recipe. These quantities will make a mayonnaise sufficient for 10 persons. If the mayonnaise is not all wanted at one time fill it into jelly glasses without the cream. It will then keep for some time. The cream can be added where wanted for Use.
4 yolks of eggs
8 tablespoon salad oil (like olive oil, corn oil, sunflower oil, canola oil, any bland oil etc. )
4 tablespoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon sugar
1-2 tablespoon French mustard (or Dijon Mustard)
½ pint or 1 cup whipped cream (or 3 tablespoonfuls condensed milk which is not sweet or sugar free)
- (No heat yet) Put the yolks in a small saucepan and stir them to a cream;
- Then slowly add, stirring constantly, 4 tablespoonfuls oil;
- When this is well mixed, add the 4 tablespoon vinegar,
- Set the saucepan in a (double broiler) vessel of boiling water and stir over the fire till contents of saucepan begin to thicken;
- Then quickly remove and continue the stirring until cold. Then slowly add the remaining 4 tablespoon of oil, stirring constantly.
- Next add the salt and sugar; then the mustard and lastly the cream or condensed milk.
Credits: Desserts and Salads Book by Gesine Lemcke