Satti Recipe is a Tausug delicacy of grilled beef/chicken and cubed rice from ‘puso’ soaked in overflowing Satti sauce. It is a Halal-certified food and resembles a spicy curry dish.
SATTI RECIPE (Beef/Chicken)
- FOR SATTI:
- ½ kilo Beef or Chicken (meat for bbq)
- ½ cup coconut milk (brush meat upon grilling)
- bbq sticks/skewers
- FOR THE SAUCE: (7 quarts pot)
- ¼ cup Siling labuyo (Catumbal) or 8 Habanero Chilli peppers
- 4 thumb size ginger
- 1 tsp turmeric (azafran)
- 1 bulb onion
- 5 leaves oregano (or 1 tsp if using oregano powder)
- ¼ -½ tsp shrimp paste (Bagoong)
- 1 Tomato, chopped
- ⅛ cup flour (depending on how sticky you want it be)
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp Salt
- 15 grams Annatto powder (Achuete) 2 packs
- 3 cubes Chicken bouillon cube (Halal)
- ¼ cup Coconut milk (gata)
- 1 tsp Peanut butter
- 1 tsp Curry Powder
- 1 Taro Root (tumon/gabi) small size, about 2 inches in diameter
- FOR SATTI: Marinate chicken/beef with calamansi, salt, sugar and achuete. Then skewer.
2. Brush with coconut milk (optional)
3. Grill until cooked through.
- FOR SAUCE: Boil 6 quarts of water. Add the taro root, curry powder, chicken bouillon cubes, coconut milk and 1 teaspoon peanut butter. Stir, bring it to a boil and simmer.
- Using a blender/food processor, make a blended paste of; siling labuyo, ginger, turmeric, onions and oregano leaves. (You may add little water to let it blend together). Set aside.
- Make Flour-Cornstarch Mixture: Combine flour, cornstarch, sugar, salt and achuete powder. Add 1 cup (or more) of water, mix it well until free of lumps.
- In a pan, heat oil to sauté shrimp paste and tomatoes. Then add the blended paste (from step 2). Sauté until partly dried.
- Once the paste becomes partly dry, add this to the boiling water (from step 1). Mix it well and add the coconut milk (optional).
- Add the Flour-Cornstarch mixture from step 3. Adjust with water to reach desired thickness.
- Simmer over medium flame for about 15 to 30 minutes (or more). Constantly stirring to prevent “sticking” at the bottom of the pot.
- Add with little water if needed to adjust the thickness of the soup.
- Turn-off heat and let it cool.
- Serve it on a platter with Puso (rice), Grilled beef/chicken and Satti Sauce. Enjoy!