Satti Recipe is a Tausug delicacy of grilled beef/chicken and cubed rice from ‘puso’ soaked in overflowing Satti sauce. It is a Halal-certified food and resembles a spicy curry dish.
SATTI RECIPE (Beef/Chicken)
½ kilo Beef or Chicken (meat for bbq)
½ cup coconut milk (brush meat upon grilling)
FOR THE SAUCE: (7 quarts pot)
¼ cup Siling labuyo (Catumbal) or 8 Habanero Chilli peppers
4 thumb size ginger
1 tsp turmeric (azafran)
1 bulb onion
5 leaves oregano (or 1 tsp if using oregano powder)
¼ -½ tsp shrimp paste (Bagoong)
1 Tomato, chopped
⅛ cup flour (depending on how sticky you want it be)
½ cup cornstarch
1 ½ cup sugar
1 tbsp Salt
15 grams Annatto powder (Achuete) 2 packs
3 cubes Chicken bouillon cube (Halal)
¼ cup Coconut milk (gata)
1 tsp Peanut butter
1 tsp Curry Powder
1 Taro Root (tumon/gabi) small size, about 2 inches in diameter
1. Marinate chicken/beef with calamansi, salt, sugar and achuete. Then skewer.
2. Brush with coconut milk (optional)
3. Grill until cooked through.
1. Boil 6 quarts of water. Add the taro root, curry powder, chicken bouillon cubes, coconut milk and 1 teaspoon peanut butter. Stir, bring it to a boil and simmer.
2. Using a blender/food processor, make a blended paste of; siling labuyo, ginger, turmeric, onions and oregano leaves. (You may add little water to let it blend together). Set aside.
3. Make Flour-Cornstarch Mixture: Combine flour, cornstarch, sugar, salt and achuete powder. Add 1 cup (or more) of water, mix it well until free of lumps.
4. In a pan, heat oil to sauté shrimp paste and tomatoes. Then add the blended paste (from step 2). Sauté until partly dried.
5. Once the paste becomes partly dry, add this to the boiling water (from step 1). Mix it well and add the coconut milk (optional).
6. Add the Flour-Cornstarch mixture from step 3. Adjust with water to reach desired thickness.
7. Simmer over medium flame for about 15 to 30 minutes (or more). Constantly stirring to prevent “sticking” at the bottom of the pot.
8. Add with little water if needed to adjust the thickness of the soup.
9. Turn-off heat and let it cool.
10. Serve it on a platter with Puso (rice), Grilled beef/chicken and Satti Sauce. Enjoy!