Iloilo’s favorite duck recipe, Pinoy Patotin Recipe or Braised Duck. Taste like Pato Hamonado. Can also use itik or chicken. Super yummy and tasty and great for special occasion or holiday feast. Happy cooking!
Pinoy Patotin Recipe
1 whole duck, dressed
1 liter coke/or sprite
½ cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons oyster sauce/or soy sauce
1 tsp salt
5 cloves garlic
3 bay leaves
1 tsp peppercorns
3 stalks green onion leaves
1 small can pineapple tidbits
2 red chili peppers, (optional)
2 medium potatoes, peeled, sliced and fried
1. Preparation: stuff the duck cavity with onion leaves and rub it with salt. Set aside.
2. In a large pot, put the remaining ingredients and cook duck over medium-low heat.
3. Bring to a boil and just let it simmer until the coke mixture thickens and the duck becomes evenly tender. It may take 2 hours or more to make it tender, adjust coke as needed until cooked through.
4. Avoid using high heat especially towards the last part of cooking because this may make your sauce bitter.
5. You can fry sliced potatoes and fry it until crisp and tender. Serve it on the side of patotin on the serving platter. Serve and enjoy!
You can alternatively use Sprite and 1 cup of coconut vinegar (Tuba) to have a reddish color. But using coke alone can give it a reddish color.