Quick and healthy ulam for Semana santa (Lenten Season Recipe). Sautéed veggies with sardines. Simple and delicious!
Ginisang Sayote, Ampalaya, Carrots with Sardines
1 small can Youngs Town Sardines
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 tomatoes, chopped
1 red onion, minced
2 chayote (sayote), peeled and cubed
1 small ampalaya, sliced thinly
1 small carrot, julienned or cubed
½ cup water
1 teaspoon soy sauce
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Prepare all ingredients, and soaked ampalaya in water with salt for about 5 minutes (to remove too much bitterness). Rinse and drain water.
2. In a wok, heat oil to saute garlic, onions, tomatoes until fragrant.
3. Add chayote, carrots, and water. Bring it to a boil and simmer over low heat for about 5-10 minutes.
4. Add in sardine sauce (except fish) and ampalaya. Continue to simmer to cook for 5 minutes.
5. Once the veggies are tender, add in the fish. Gently, stir and make sure not to mash the fish.
6. Season with soy sauce, salt and pepper to taste.
7. Turn-off heat. Serve hot and enjoy!