GIZZARD PASTEL RECIPE (Chicken Balunbalunan)
1 kilogram chicken gizzard (balunbalunan), chopped
4 tablespoon butter
1 medium carrot, julienned
1 large onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 pack all purpose cream
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp worcestershire sauce, (optional)
1 chicken broth cube + ½ cup hot water (dissolved)
1 cup evaporated milk
1 red bell pepper, de-seeded & julienned
1 cup frozen green peas
2 bay leaves (dahon ng laurel)
salt and pepper
1 tsp sugar
1. Wash and clean chicken gizzard. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
2. In a large pan, heat butter, sauté garlic and onion until it becomes fragrant.
3. Once the onions are soft, add the chicken gizzard and sauté for a minute. Add soy sauce and worcestershire sauce. Stir and toss until sauce is absorbed by the meat.
4. Next, add in the carrots and green peas. Let it cook for about 2-3 minutes over medium to low heat.
5. Then add the stock (chicken broth) into the pan. Let it simmer over medium-low heat until all liquid has evaporated and the meat becomes tender.
6. Add in evaporated milk and all purpose cream. Constantly stir the milk to prevent curdling. When it begins to boil, lower heat and keep stirring.
7. Add the bell peppers and bay leaves. Season with salt, pepper to adjust taste as needed and add a teaspoon of sugar. Continue to cook for 5 minutes over low heat until sauce becomes thick.
8. Turn-off heat and transfer into a serving bowl. Serve and enjoy!