Gizzard Pastel Recipe (Chicken Balunbalunan)
- 1 kilogram chicken gizzard (balunbalunan), chopped
- 4 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium carrot, julienned
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pack all purpose cream
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce, (optional)
- 1 chicken broth cube + ½ cup hot water (dissolved)
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 red bell pepper, de-seeded & julienned
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 2 bay leaves (dahon ng laurel)
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp sugar
- Wash and clean chicken gizzard. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large pan, heat butter, sauté garlic and onion until it becomes fragrant.
- Once the onions are soft, add the chicken gizzard and sauté for a minute. Add soy sauce and worcestershire sauce. Stir and toss until sauce is absorbed by the meat.
- Next, add in the carrots and green peas. Let it cook for about 2-3 minutes over medium to low heat.
- Then add the stock (chicken broth) into the pan. Let it simmer over medium-low heat until all liquid has evaporated and the meat becomes tender.
- Add in evaporated milk and all purpose cream. Constantly stir the milk to prevent curdling. When it begins to boil, lower heat and keep stirring.
- Add the bell peppers and bay leaves. Season with salt, pepper to adjust taste as needed and add a teaspoon of sugar. Continue to cook for 5 minutes over low heat until sauce becomes thick.
- Turn-off heat and transfer into a serving bowl. Serve and enjoy!