Try this Budget-friendly recipe on how to make, crispy tawilis and kalabasa ukoy (or tawilis okoy). Quick and easy Filipino recipe, daily menu and lutong bahay.
TAWILIS UKOY RECIPE
300grams fresh small tawilis, (alternatively any small fish like dulong or dilis)
5 cloves garlic
1 small onion
3 tablespoon cornstarch
3 tablespoon all purpose flour
2 cups squash (kalabasa)
1 tablespoon salt (for brine)
1 cup water (for brine)
2 eggs, beaten
salt and pepper, to taste
- Peel kalabasa and slice in julienne (or strips) use a grate if possible. Add salt and brine with 1 cup of water for 15 minutes. Set aside
- Prepare and minced garlic and onions. Set aside.
- Drain kalabasa and squeeze out excess liquid.
- Mix everything in a medium bowl. (squash, onion, garlic, tawilis, eggs, salt, pepper, flour and cornstarch.)
- Assemble in a platito (small saucer) and gently push down in hot oil to fry.
- Fry it until crispy and golden brown
- Drain from oil and transfer into a plate lined with paper towels.
- Serve with your favorite spiced vinegar and red chillies on the side. Enjoy!