This Crispy Kangkong is just like Vegetable Tempura, but with a touch of Filipino Style because its from our favorite Kangkong leaves (Water Spinach).
Cooking Tips: Ideally, you may place ice cubes underneath the bowl of the batter. This is to maintain the temperature of the ice cold batter. When hot and cold temperatures collide, it creates a shock look when fried. That’s the secret of the tempura shrimp too.. the batter splatters which creates a unique look when fried.
3 bunch of kangkong (saluyot, dahon ng sili or any vegetable leaves)
2 cups cornstarch
1 cup flour
1 cup cold water (should be icy cold)
Salt and pepper
Oil for frying
4 tablespoon mayonnaise
1 garlic, minced
2 tablespoon quickmelt cheese, grated
1. First take the leaves off the stem of kangkong..(leaves only and discard the stems). Set aside
2. Make the batter: Combine cornstarch, flour, cold water, salt and pepper. Mix until the batter becomes smooth.
3. Frying: Heat the pan with oil (about 3 cups of oil). Dip one leaf in batter, then fry until crispy for about a minute (medium-low heat). Drain from oil on a plate lined with paper towels.
4. Repeat step #3, until all kangkong leaves are fried.
5. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce garlic-mayo sauce. (Alternatively: sour cream or plain yogurt + little mayonaise).
6. Serve crispy and enjoy!