Try this easy and quick way to cook a Korean Yangnyeom Chicken. Crispy fried chicken wings tossed in sticky and spicy Yangnyeom Sauce. So yummy!
You may also use other chicken parts like chicken breast fillet or any other chicken part you desire. For Tempura Batter Ready mix, its available in supermarket for Mc Cormick Tempura Agemono Fry Set or try the online stores like Shopee/Lazada (Keyword: Tempura Batter Mix)
Yangnyeom Chicken Recipe
- For Marinade:
- 1 kilogram chicken wings, (use the drumette side and chop off the flap)
- 6 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- ½ tbsp ground pepper
- 1 tbsp salt
- ¼ cup of Soju, or Mirin, or Chinese
- Cooking Wine, or vodka
- 1 package Tempura Batter Mix
- For Yangnyeom Sauce:
- 2 tbsp Gochujang paste
- 1 tbsp Soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Ketchup
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp Brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ cup of honey
- 2 tbsp Gochugaru (Korean Pepper flakes add only if you like it really spicy)
- For Garnish:
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- Combine all ingredients to marinate chicken in a medium-large mixing bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let it marinate in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes or overnight.
- Heat frying oil to 350°F/or 180°C (approximately over medium-high heat.) Add tempura powder into chicken and mix well with your hand.
- Place chicken carefully into the hot oil one piece at a time. Try not to crowd the cooking pot. Do it in batches. Fry chicken until fully cooked but not golden brown (bec. we need to double fry the chicken) for about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from oil and place on a cooling rack or paper towel lined baking sheet. Do more batches if needed depending on the size of your pot.
- Increase oil temperature to 370°F (190°C), approximately over high heat. Fry chicken one more time, to get a nice golden brown color on the chicken. It will take about 2 to 4 minutes. Remove chicken from the oil and place on a cooling rack or paper towel lined baking sheet.
- In a large skillet, combine all ingredients for Yangnyeom sauce and bring it to a simmer over medium heat. Let it simmer until the sauce has reduced and thickened, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Toss the fried chicken into the sauce. Keep tossing on heat until all the chicken pieces are coated evenly with the sauce.
- Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and enjoy!