This Beef Wanton Mami soup is perfect for the cold weather. The Wantons and other spices like star anise, Worcestershire sauce, spring onions, plenty of white onions, and garlic really made the soup so delicious. What a perfect combo!
Beef Wanton Mami Recipe
- ½ Kilogram beef brisket
- 3-5 pieces star anise
- 1 piece beef broth cube (optional)
- 5-7 cups water
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 10 cloves minced garlic (1 head)
- 2-3 large white onion, minced
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup spring onions, chopped
- 14 ounces (396g) egg noodles/miki, cooked
- 1 bunch Chinese cabbage (or pechay Baguio), chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- toasted garlic, for toppings
- For the Wantons:
- ½ kilograms ground pork
- ¼ cup spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 15 pieces wonton wrappers
- Make the Wantons:
Combine ground pork, green onions, garlic, soy sauce, salt, pepper in a bowl. Mix it well until well incorporated.
- Prepare the wrappers and separate each individual sheet. Scoop a tablespoonfuls of meat mixture in the middle of the wrapper. Dab with little water on the side and gather all the corners to form a round shape. Repeat the same process until all the mixture is wrapped. Set aside
- In a stock pot, heat oil to saute the garlic and onions until fragrant.
- Stir fry the beef brisket and let it cook until the color of the meat turns light brown. Add in soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and let the meat absorb the flavors.
- Then add the beef broth cube and star anise. Pour enough water and let it come to a boil.
- Adjust to low and simmer until beef becomes very tender. About 2 hours on low heat (or 30 mins if using a pressure cooker). Remove scum that floats on top and discard the star anise. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Once the beef is very tender, add the wontons and let it cook for a few minutes until meat filling is cooked through.
- Prepare the cooked egg noodles and chopped chinese cabbage into serving bowls.
- Pour the hot soup, wontons, beef brisket into the bowl with noodles. Garnish with spring onions and lots of toasted garlic on top. So perfect for the rainy cold weather!
- Serve hot and enjoy!