Do you want to make your own Samsui Chicken with Ginger Sauce at home just like the famous signature dish of Soup Restaurant Singapore. The Ginger Sauce recipe is a copycat recipe, credits to Chef Gina. It’s really good, perfect and delicious!
Samsui Chicken (with Ginger Sauce)
- 1 whole dressed chicken
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 slices young ginger
- 1 stalk of spring onion
- 2 teaspoon salt
- For Ginger Sauce:
- 100g young ginger, grated/minced
- 50g lesser galangal, grated/minced (Boesenbergia rotunda or Fingerroot)
- 50ml sesame oil
- 2 tbsp Rice wine
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp Chicken oil (rendered from chicken fat)
- For Garnish:
- 1 cucumber, sliced thinly (semi circle)
- fresh lettuce, side dish
- To make Chicken Oil:
Add 50 grams of chicken skin and fats (pat dry with paper towels) in a wok. Slowly heat up the wok and cook until the chicken oil is rendered. Transfer oil in a bowl and set aside.
- For Steamed Samsui Chicken: Rub the whole chicken with salt and also the cavity. Fill the chicken cavity with garlic cloves, ginger and spring onions (semi fill only)
- Prepare a steamer and bring it to a boil. Steam the chicken over high heat for about 30-40 minutes. Adjust with hot water if the water dries out.
- Check if it’s done, by pricking the thigh or groin area, clear liquid should run out and no blood.
- Remove chicken from the steamer and reserve some broth for later use. Set aside to let it cool.
- Once the chicken is cool, de-bone and carve the chicken into uniform slices and arrange it into a serving platter with the slices of semi round cucumber and a small bowl of ginger sauce in the center of the platter.
- For the Ginger Sauce: Blend young ginger, lesser galangal with chicken oil, sesame oil until fine. Transfer into a bowl and mix the rest of the ingredients until incorporated.
- Serve and enjoy!