Soya Sauce Chicken (Hongkong Style)
½ of whole chicken/duck, sliced into serving pieces (6 pieces chicken)
50ml light soy sauce (about 3 ¼ tbsp)
250 ml hot water
3 teaspoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
5 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
3 stalks spring onions, chopped
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 2 tbsp water.
- In a bowl, add light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, hot water, sugar and stir until sugar is dissolved. Set aside
- Preheat a pot with 2 tablespoons of oil. Sauté garlic, spring onions, sesame oil and stir fry until fragrant.
- Add in the chicken and the soy sauce mixture, cook over high heat and bring it to a boil. Cover the pot and just let it simmer for 3 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Let the chicken stand with the lid covered for 15 minutes.
- Turn over the chicken and let both sides coated with sauce. Adjust the taste of the sauce to suit your preference. Cook again over high heat for 2~3minutes until boiling with lid cover .
- Turn off the heat and let the chicken sit inside the pot for another 10-15minutes.
- Check the chicken if it’s done, and let it simmer one more time until cooked through over low heat.
- Transfer the chicken pieces and arrange on a serving platter.
- For the remaining sauce, turn on the heat again to low and add in the cornstarch mixture. Let the sauce thicken for a few seconds. Once done, pour the sauce on top of the arranged chicken.
- Serve and enjoy!