Enjoy these meaty and cheesy Quesadillas with delicious salsa, sour cream and or guacamole on the side. So yummy for any afternoon snack. Enjoy it with the whole family.
Cheesy Beef Quesadillas
- ½ kg. ground beef (extra lean beef)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 bell pepper, minced (or chipotle pepper or guajillo pepper)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper powder (or to taste, optional)
- 1 tablespoon ketchup/tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons water or broth
- slices of cheddar cheese and mozzarella cheese
- 6 flour tortillas
- cooking spray or oil (to grease the pan)
Dippings/On the side: Mexican Salsa, sour cream, guacamole
- For the Filling: In a pan, heat a little oil over medium-low heat. Cook beef and let it render excess fat. Drain beef from oil to remove the excess oil. (so it doesn’t become too greasy).
- In the same pan, with little fat left from beef, saute onion, garlic and bell pepper until fragrant.
- Then add back the ground beef, season with chili powder, oregano, cumin, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper powder.
- Toss and turn the beef and crumble the pieces for about 10 minutes or until cooked through. Add in ketchup, two tablespoon broth and stir well. Let it cook for an additional 2 minutes. Turn off heat and transfer beef in a bowl.
- Toast the Tortillas first in a pan over low heat (both sides) until lightly browned but not too much.
- Assembly: Place one slice of cheese on one side of each tortilla or you can put (2 cheeses) cheddar and mozzarella.
- Add 2 tablespoons ground beef over the top of the cheese (or just enough to fold the sandwich). Fold tortilla into a half-moon shape and then fold the two sides to make a pocket size fold.
- Place it back on the pan (if you have an oven bake it quickly), arrange them together, and cook over low heat to slowly melt the cheese. Cook it for additional 2 minutes or just until the cheese is melted.
- Serve with salsa, guacamole and/or sour cream on the side. So yummy!
- You may use Chipotle pepper powder or Guajillo Dried peppers to level up the flavor of the quesadillas. These peppers are available in Shopee or Lazada online stores.
- You can make this recipe spicy by adding red chili peppers.
- For Flour Tortillas, you can purchase the ready made, available in SM supermarket or you can easily make your own Tortillas at home.