This Decadent Chocolate Cake is so classic. An adapted recipe from Chef Heny Sison. Thank you. It’s lavishly tempting and melting. Perfect for the Holiday season!
Decadent Chocolate Cake
- For the Cake:
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 cup butter, softened at room temperature
- 2 ½ cups sugar
- ¾ tsp salt
- 6 large eggs
- 1 ⅔ cups cold water
- 1 cup Dutch processed unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- For the Mocha Filling:
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tall can evaporated milk
- 1 tsp instant coffee
- 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- ¼ cup butter, softened at room temp
- For the Chocolate Fudge Frosting:
- 2 ¼ cups evaporated milk
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- ¾ cups unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- ¼ cup + 2 Tbsp butter, softened at room temp
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (or 162°C).
- For the Cake: In a strainer, sift and combine the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder) and set it aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix cocoa, cold water, and vanilla extract. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer, cream softened butter and sugar for 10 minutes or until light and fluffy at medium speed (speed 4). At speed 6, add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Adjust to low speed, add dry ingredients alternately with the cocoa mixture part by part. Beat until smooth and with no more trace of flour.
- Pour mixture into two 10-inch round pans, that were previously brushed with shortening and sprinkled with flour.
- Bake for one hour or until done. Let it cool before frosting. Set aside.
- For the Mocha Filling: In a double boiler, add milk, sugar, flour and coffee. Whisk with a wire whisk until smooth. Then, cook over medium heat until it becomes creamy. Remove from heat. Then add the slightly beaten egg yolks while hot and whisk.
- Place it back to the heat (double boiler) and continue mixing until it becomes thicker but spreadable. Let it cool for about 5 minutes, then add the butter.
- For the Chocolate Fudge Frosting: In a double boiler, whisk and cook all ingredients until thick. Let it cool for about 5 minutes, then add the butter and mix it well.
- Cake Assembly: Start with the first layer of cake on a serving platter. Spread mocha filling on top. Then place the second layer of cake. Frost the top and sides of the cake with remaining mocha filling. Lastly, pour the Chocolate fudge frosting on top of the cake.