These English Scones are buttery, flaky with some touch of raisins. They are so easy to make! Serve with cream and your favorite jam for a delightful Tea time treat.
English Scones Recipe
- 2 large eggs
- 120ml buttermilk (about ½ cup)
- 120ml full cream milk (or whole milk)
- 3 ½ cups (435g) Plain flour
- ⅓ cup (65g) sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup (75g) cold butter, (cut into cubes)
- 2 tablespoon Raisins (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 230°C. Prepare a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a measuring jug or bowl, whisk the eggs, buttermilk and milk. Don’t forget to reserve about 2 tablespoons of mixture for brushing. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- Add butter and mix until crumbly. (Notes: it is best to thoroughly coat the flour with butter to minimize the formation of gluten to make tender and light scones.)
- Add egg mixture and mix until just combined. It will be a little sticky, but that’s fine. Then add some raisins and mix to incorporate (optional).
- Prepare the working table and dust it well with flour. Knead the dough with floured hands and smoothen it out a bit. Flatten into one inch thick dough and use a round 3″ inch cookie cutter and cut out as many scones. Gather the excess dough and continue to cut more scones.
- Transfer the scones into the prepared baking sheet and arrange, then brush on the reserved egg mixture on each scone.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Let it cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Serve with butter or your favorite jam. Enjoy!