Here’s another Thai Salad you will definitely love. If you love salad just like me, I guess you’ll also like this Thai Tum Khao Pod or Spicy Corn Salad. It’s sweet, spicy and just the right sour taste.
Just a trivia, for any Thai menu that has the word ‘Tum’, they’re all made in mortar and pestle.
Spicy Corn Salad Recipe (Tum Khao Pod)
- 2 sweet corn
- 4 Baby tomatoes (small plump tomatoes)
- ½ cup Green beans (sitaw)
- 1 small Carrot
- 2 tablespoon Peanuts, toasted
- 3 tablespoon Dried prawns/shrimp/hibe
- 2-3 garlic
- 2 pcs Red Chili pepper, adjust to your spice level
- 2 tbsp Palm Sugar (or brown sugar)
- 4 tbsp Lime Juice
- 2 tbsp Fish Sauce
- 1 tbsp Syrup (honey, or pancake syrup or sugar syrup)
- In a pan, toast the peanuts over low heat until brown and fragrant. Set aside.
- Boil the sweet corn in a pot of water for 10 minutes until cooked through.
- Prepare the other ingredients while boiling the corn: Sliced the green beans into 1″ size. Use a grater to shred the carrots and chop the tomatoes in wedges. Set aside.
- Using mortar and pestle, roughly crush the garlic, green beans, and chili pepper together. Set aside
- Once the sweet corn is tender, remove from water, and let it cool for 5 minutes. Then sliced the corn on the side to get chunks of kernels.
- In a large bowl, combine all the seasoning and mix well, add in the chopped tomatoes, green beans, crushed garlic, carrots, chunks of corn kernels and dried shrimp.
- Choices of vegetables are not fixed. Feel free to adjust to what you like for refreshing and crunchy veggies. For example julienned cucumber, Thai eggplants, etc.
- Salted Duck Eggs (Kai Kem) is also a brilliant topping for this menu.
- If you don’t have palm sugar, brown sugar would be fine.
- If mortar and pestle is not available, just use a ziplock bag to pound the ingredients needed.