This Cornbread recipe is so cheesy, buttery and without buttermilk. Did you know that the most easy substitute for buttermilk is yogurt. As we all know, here in the Philippines, buttermilk is not easy to find. Yeah there is milk and vinegar substitute for buttermilk but I love yogurt more.. So you gotta try this cornbread recipe, its very quick to make and its a very yummy Filipino Version recipe ingredients. Happy baking!
Cheesy Butter Cornbread Recipe
- 1 cup cornmeal/polenta (I bought Marca Piña brand in Lazada)
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup to 1 cup sugar (you can adjust the sweetness to your liking, this is just very light)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter + greasing, melted
- 1 cup milk (or use buttermilk without greek yogurt)
- 3.5 oz. Greek yogurt or plain yogurt (about 6 ½ tbsp or 100g)
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup mayo (I used Kewpie Mayo)
- 2 tbsp dried parsley (or fresh green onions, minced/chopped)
- ⅓ cup Quickmelt cheese, grated (or cheddar cheese)
- 2 tbsp. Parmesan cheese powder (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl, sift the dry ingredients and mix it well (cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt, baking powder)
- In a measuring jug, combine milk and yogurt and stir it together. Then add it to the dry ingredients mixture. Add 2 large eggs, japanese mayo, dried parsley, grated cheese and parmesan. Mix it until just combined (don’t over mix). Let it rest for a few minutes to let the baking powder do its work.
- Grease your ring pan or round pan with butter and prepare a foil cover. Preheat the oven at 180°C
- Pour the batter in the ring pan and cover it with foil.
- I’m using an electric oven so I normally bake my bread at 130°C temperature. It will take about 25 minutes.
- Please Note: Baking temperature may vary per oven. So for a traditional oven, 180°C is ok, while in an electric oven, it cooks very quickly so it’s lower in my oven. The best clue is when it starts to really smell good. You need to start to watch the oven. Do a toothpick test and if it’s clean, then it’s done.
- Transfer into the cooling rack and transfer it upside down on a plate. Serve hot and enjoy!