Do you remember these pinkish jelly cubes covered in powder that we used to buy in sari-sari stores back in 80’s and 90’s? Turkish Delights! Its very easy to make..
Turkish Delights Recipe
- 2 cups Granulated sugar
- 1 cup + ¼ cup Water, divided
- 1 Lemon, juice squeezed and strained
- 1 Orange, juice squeezed and strained
- ¼ of 1 orange rind and lemon rind, combined
- 4 tablespoon unflavored clear gelatin powder (Mr. Gulaman)
- ½ teaspoon rosewater (optional)
- Red Gel food coloring
- For Dusting:
- 4 tablespoon Confectioners sugar
- 2 tablespoon Cornstarch
- In a saucepan, dissolve the granulated sugar in 1 cup of the water over medium heat. Add the rind of orange/lemon and the juices of lemon and orange. Bring the mixture to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Soak the gelatin in the ¼ cup water to bloom for 5-10 minutes. Add it in the mixture, add rosewater and stir well. Strain the mixture into a shallow, dampened rectangular pan.
- Add coloring as desired. If multiple colors, divide mixture into separate pans and stir in a drop of red gel food coloring to get pink. Let it set for 24 hours. Use smaller pans if using multiple colors and manage the thickness per pan.
- Cut the candy into 1-inch squares. Sift the confectioner’s sugar and cornstarch together into a shallow dish. Roll the pieces of candy in the powder. Store the squares in boxes with more confectioner’s sugar and cornstarch between each layer. Ratio of confectioners sugar and cornstarch is 2:1.
- Serve and enjoy!