Dont have a bamboo wrap for making Sushi? No problem! Why not make Sushi Balls! These are so easy to make! You can just choose 1-2 toppings and your choice of garnish and sauce. Be creative and style your balls to your likings. Enjoy!
MAKI AND SUSHI BALLS RECIPE
- For the Sushi Rice:
- 1 cup sushi rice grain, short or medium grain rice (do not use long grain rice)
- 1 cup water, plus extra for rinsing rice
- 1 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoon sesame oil
- For Toppings: (choose any)
- Avocado, sliced thinly
- Salmon belly, sliced thinly
- Shrimp, (thinly sliced in the center to spread out)
- Mango flesh, thinly sliced
- Crab stick, sliced thinly
- Cucumber, sliced thinly
- Cheese, grated or sliced
- For Drizzle/Dipping Sauce: (choose any)
- Dynamite Sauce (Mix well: 1 cup mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon sugar, 1 tablespoon chili garlic sauce)
- Kewpie mayo
- Jalapeño Ketchup
- Teriyaki sauce
- For Garnish:
- White/Black sesame seeds, roasted
- Fish roe (Masago)
- Nori (or seaweed flakes), roasted
Material: Cling wrap, cut into 10-15 squares
- For the rice grain: Place the raw rice into a mixing bowl and cover with cool water. Swirl the rice in the water, pour off and repeat 2 to 3 times or until the water is clear.
- Place the rice and 1 cup of water into a rice pot/cooker and press cook. Once cooked, we normally let it cook (“pina-paining”) on residual heat for additional 10 minutes.
- Combine the rice vinegar, sugar and salt in a small bowl and heat in the microwave on high for 30 to 45 seconds. Or heat in saucepan using a stove.
- Transfer the rice into a mixing bowl and add the vinegar mixture. Fold thoroughly to combine and coat each grain of rice with the mixture. Season with sesame oil. Mix it well.
- Allow to cool to room temperature before using to make sushi or sashimi.
- In order to cool the rice quickly, it can be spread out on a large rimmed baking sheet and can be alternately mixed and fanned.
- Use a cling wrap, use a tablespoon to scoop it and form balls out of the sushi rice. Gather the ends of the plastic and twist it until there is no air inside the plastic. You should see a round rice covered in cling wrap (wrap it like a lollipop with no stick).
- Reopen the plastic, decorate as you like, example: top it with salmon. Wrap it back with the same cling wrap. Set aside.
- When serving, unwrap the sushi balls and garnish it on top with a dot of Wasabi, Sesame seeds, Fish roe and seaweed flakes.
- Sauce can be drizzled over or serve on the side in small ramekins. Serve and enjoy!
Note: If using Nori or Seaweed sheets, in a low heat stove, roast the seaweed sheets quickly on one side. Cut into strips to wrap the sushi ball. Set aside.