We all enjoy gathering with friends and family for fun, laughs, and of course, food! Social gatherings sometimes offer few healthy choices, and you may be tempted to overeat in the company of others.
Encourage others to eat a healthy diet by including a variety of fruits and vegetables at your next gathering, Host a fruit and vegetable pot luck. Ask family and friends to bring their favorite fruit or vegetable dish. Or set a theme, such as cultural night, and prepare fruit and vegetable dishes from a certain country or region.
- Bruschetta with Tomatoes and Fresh Basil
- Whole wheat pasta with tomato sauce
- Steamed mixed vegetables
- Tortilla chips with Mexican Salsa
- Avocado with Tacos Recipe
- Black Beans and Rice
Include fruits and veggies at your next get-together.
- Use a fresh vegetable platter or fruit salad as a colorful, appetizing, and tasty centerpiece.
- Make kabobs by placing bite-sized pieces of fruits or veggies on skewers. Get your kids to help-they are fun to make and eat!
- Use salsa or hummus as dips for cut vegetables and whole-grain crackers or breads.
💡Did You Know that…
- You can season your dishes with garlic, onions, or lemon juice to add flavor without adding fat or salt.
- In addition to fruits and vegetables, remember that a healthy diet also includes whole grains, fat-free or low-fat milk products, lean meats (including poultry, fish, beans, eggs, and nuts) and is low in saturated fats, trans fats, cholesterol, salt, and added sugars.
Sample Menus You May Try:
Bruschetta with Tomatoes and Fresh Basil
- 1 sourdough baguette (24 inch)
- 4 oz fat-free cream cheese, whipped
- 6 cups sliced tomatoes (or avocado)
- 1 cup fresh basil
- Slice the baguette into 24 pieces about 1″ inch thick.
- Toast baguette slices in a 350°F oven until golden brown.
- Spread each slice with fat-free cream cheese.
- Place slices of tomatoes on each piece.
- Garnish with basil or any fresh herbs
(Makes 6 servings-4 baguette slices per serving)
This traditional Greek sandwich gets a makeover with lean turkey meat replacing beef and a golden delicious apple added for a sweet crunch.
Turkey Apple Gyros
(Makes 6 servings)
- 2 medium golden delicious apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 8 oz. leftover roasted turkey breast, cut into thin strips
- 6 whole-wheat pita bread rounds (6-½” diameter)
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Toss apple with lemon juice, set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet, sauté onion and peppers in hot oil, stirring frequently until crisp and tender.
- Add turkey to the skillet and stir until heated through.
- Stir in apple mixture. Add garlic to yogurt and mix.
- Lightly toast the pita. Fill the center with the turkey mixture. Add some fresh sliced of tomatoes and some thinly slices of white onions on top.
- Drizzle with yogurt mixture. Wrap it up tightly with greaseproof paper wrapper.
Try this variation of a Mexican favorite.
Avocado Tacos Recipe
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and seeded
- 1 medium onion, julienne
- 2 large green peppers, julienned
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1½ cup fresh tomato salsa
- 12 whole-wheat flour tortillas (10 inch diameter) Non-stick cooking spray
- Grated cheese, garnish
- Spray skillet with cooking spray.
- Lightly sauté onion and peppers.
- Cut avocado into 12 slices.
- Warm tortillas in the oven; layer peppers, onions, one avocado slice, and salsa.
- Fold tortillas to enclose the filling and serve with grated cheese on top. Enjoy!
*Nutrition info per serving: Calories 190kcal; Fat 6g; Sodium 180mg; Carb 28g; Fiber 5g; Protein 5g; Vit A 25%; Vit C 100%, Calcium 2%; Iron 8%
Homemade Hummus Recipe
- 400 g Canned Chickpeas / Cooked Chickpeas
- 1 tsp of Organic Sicilian Oil (this is first cold-pressed oil from olives grown in Italy)
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 lime juice / 2-3 tbsp of Lemon juice
- In a food processor, mix the cooked chickpeas, garlic, oil, salt & pepper.
- Add the lemon juice and mix again.
- Put the hummus in a bowl.
- Optional: sprinkle with cumin and paprika, plenty of cracked black pepper and sprinkle with a drizzle of Organic Sicilian Oil.
- Chill in the fridge. Enjoy with Pita bread!