This breakfast is scrumptious and superb! Eggs Benedict made with smoked salmon, poached egg, hollandaise sauce, fresh-from-the-oven toasted bread and garnished with salmon roe. On the side fill it with a healthy leafy green salad with thin slices of zucchinis. Feel free to choose your favorite greens! Like you may substitute with fresh arugula, spinach, lettuce, tomatoes, etc.
Eggs Benedict with Smoked Salmon and Roe
- For Hollandaise Reduction:
- 2 tablespoons water
- ¼ cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons Champagne vinegar (rice wine, or lemon juice)
- 1 teaspoon minced shallot
- 4 black peppercorns
- For Hollandaise:
- 4 ounces clarified butter (or ghee or olive oil, or butter)
- 4 egg yolks, plus 4 whole eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Black Truffle Salt, to taste
- 2 slices of bread/bagels
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 4 ounces smoked salmon
- Zucchini, shaved long thin strips using vegetable peeler
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 ounce salmon roe
- Make a hollandaise reduction, stir together the water, white wine, Champagne vinegar, minced shallot, and peppercorns in a small pot over low heat. Continue stirring until they’ve reduced by half. Strain and let set aside until cooled (room temperature).
- In a small pot over medium-low heat, melt the clarified butter. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Set aside.
- For Hollandaise: Prepare a double boiler and fill it halfway with water and let it simmer. Place a heatproof bowl on top (don’t let water touch the bowl) with egg yolks and hollandaise reduction. Whisk them together constantly until the mixture becomes thick (take off the bowl from heat once or twice to avoid over cooking or too much heat).
- Remove the bowl from heat and gently drizzle the melted butter, while constantly whisking. Season with truffle salt to taste, add a dash lemon juice and some lemon zest. Cover the bowl and set aside in a warm place.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Prepare a baking sheet and toast the sliced bread in the oven for 6 minutes.
- For Poaching eggs: Fill the saucepan with water to come about 3 inches (8 cm) up side. Bring this water to a gentle simmer. Stir in vinegar. Break the cold egg into a small saucer. Holding the dish just above simmering water, gently slip egg into water. Repeat for remaining eggs. Cook in barely simmering water until white is set and yolk is cooked as desired, approximately 3 to 5 minutes. Remove eggs with a slotted spoon. Drain well on a paper towel.
- Assembly: Take out the hot toasted bread from the oven and transfer into a serving plate. Line each bread with slices of salmon. Squeezed it with lemon juice. Add the poached eggs, then pour some hollandaise sauce. Garnish on top with salmon roe and add some leafy vegetables, zucchini slices on the side. Serve it with fresh fruits like kiwis.
- Serve and enjoy!