Tortang Carne Norte using Corned beef or alternatively Giniling na Baka is a Filipino recipe made of egg and corned beef. A delicious Omelette but more like a fritter because it is somewhat crispy. You may also mixed it with other veggies like potatoes, spring onions, onions, or tomatoes, and carrots.
Tortang Carne Norte (Corned Beef Omelette)
- 2 small cans of Corned beef (or 1 lb. ground beef), about 150g/can
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 stalks green onions or spring onions, minced
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced in small pieces (smaller pieces to quickly cook it)
- 4-6 eggs, beaten
- ¼ teaspoon sugar, to taste (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup oil, for frying
- In a non stick pan over medium heat, brown carne norte for about 2-3 minutes. (Drain excess fat if needed). Add in garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add onions, stir-fry for a few minutes until onions are soft. Add diced potatoes, saute over medium-low heat until potatoes are tender and dry. Toss in minced green onions and cook for a minute.
- Remove from heat. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool completely. Set aside.
- Pour beaten eggs into cooled carne norte. Season with sugar, salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 cup of oil in a small pan or wok over medium heat.
- Scoop ½ cup of egg-meat mixture into the skillet. Let it cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side until slightly toasted. Repeat and cook the remaining mixture by batch depending on the size of your pan
- Transfer into a serving plate lined with paper towels. Serve hot and enjoy with banana ketchup!