Beef Kabob is simply skewered meat that is roasted over fire. It has Middle Eastern origins and has grilled meat as the primary meal commonly paired with sides such rice, shirazi (cucumber tomato salad), hummus, baba ganoush, and pita. Kabobs are famous for their skewered vegetables with the meat, like onions, peppers and tomatoes, which taste really good when grilled with the meat.
Beef Kabobs (Sweet and Sour Style)
- 2 pounds sirloin steak, cut into thin squares
- ½ + ¼ cup cola, divided
- 1½ cup pineapple juice
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 4 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 large onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2½ teaspoons cornstarch, dissolved in 4 tbsp cold water
- 2 to 3 teaspoons chili-garlic sauce
- Salt and black pepper
- For Skewer: (Garnish)
- 1 Red bell pepper, deseeded
- 1 Green bell pepper, sliced
- Marinate the Steak overnight in a mixture of ½ cup cola, pineapple juice, soy sauce, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, and onion in an airtight container.
- Once steak is ready for cooking, remove the meat from the marinade, including the pieces of onions. Reserve the marinade.
- To a small saucepan, add the marinade and remaining ¼ cup cola. Using a high heat, bring to a boil. Add dissolved cornstarch, chili-garlic sauce and the final 2 tablespoons of brown sugar, stirring well. Simmer for about 15 to 18 minutes over medium heat, until it has thickened and been reduced to 1 cup. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Skewer the sirloin and alternate with onions, red and green bell peppers evenly.
- Brush kabobs with sauce to glaze.
- 3 WAYS TO COOK:
- For Stove Top: On the kitchen range, set your grill pan and heat it to a high temperature. Oil is added, and it sizzles for a little while. Place the Skewered meat on the pan’s raised edges (grilling pan). After 3 minutes, turn it over and continue grilling the other side.
- For Broiling: Broil 3 minutes on top part of the oven, flip and broil for an additional 2 minutes until cooked and tender.
- For Grilling: Brush the preheated grill pan with oil and place the skewered beef kebabs. Grill the kebabs for 4 to 5 minutes each side or until cooked fully. Serve warm.
If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for 20 minutes to prevent them from burning during the cooking process.