Popular among Filipinos, ube turon is a sweet purple yam (ube) treat that is wrapped in a crisp spring roll wrapper and deep-fried till golden brown.
Ube Turon Recipe
- 10 pieces spring roll wrappers
- 2 cups cooked/mashed ube (purple yam)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup condensed milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 2-3 tablespoon sugar for frying
- Add Ons: macapuno or langka or cheese (optional)
- Melt butter in a small pan over low heat. Add condensed milk, brown sugar, and mashed ube. Stir thoroughly to mix. To thicken the mixture, cook for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let it cool. To make it smoother in texture, you can pass the mashed ube through a strainer and push it out with a spoon.
- Divide the Spring roll wrappers in half.
- Add a spoonful or so of the ube mixture in the center. Then fold over the wrapper with filling at the bottom, then the sides are folded in, and the top is tightly rolled. To seal the top edge of the wrapper, dab it lightly with water.
- Frying Time: In a deep frying pan, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add 2-3 tablespoons of sugar over low heat, and let sugar float on top before adding the turon.
- Let it fry over controlled heat (so it doesn’t burn the sugar) until golden brown on both sides and crispy.
- Take out of the pan, then use paper towels to absorb any extra oil.
- Serve hot with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or drizzle with condensed milk. Serve and Enjoy!
Cooking Tips: Got no Ube Halaya and you need a budget-friendly recipe? Just use Cheesy Mashed Potato (Quick & Easy) recipe below and Flavor it with Ube Purple Yam flavoring/Coloring..to turn it into instant ube yam..