This summer, while enjoying a cup of coffee, live a little and indulge your sophisticated palate with these delectable doughnuts. Its heavenly delicious….
If making the donuts takes a long process for you, here’s the shortcut! Just buy sugar donuts outside and just use the filling recipe. Easy peasy..satisfied cravings.
Yield: 10 pcs
Strawberry and Cream Doughnuts
- FOR THE DOUGH:
- 150ml water
- 500g strong white bread flour (alternatively All purpose flour is ok)
- 60g caster sugar
- 5g instant yeast
- 4 eggs
- ½ lemon, zest
- 2 tsp fine sea salt
- 125g softened unsalted butter
- FOR THE FILLING:
- 2 cups of heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup confectioners sugar
- 1 tub strawberries, washed, hulled and sliced
- FOR FRYING:
- sunflower oil/cooking oil, for deep-frying
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- FOR THE DOUGH: In a mixing bowl, add water, flour, caster sugar, instant yeast, eggs, lemon zest, and salt. (except for butter).
- You can mix it manually or use a stand mixer. Mix at a medium speed for 8 minutes, or until the dough begins to pull away from the sides and forms a ball. After one minute, turn off the machine and let the dough rest.
- Restart the mixer on medium speed, then gradually incorporate the butter into the dough, about 25g at a time. Once everything is combined, mix for 5 minutes at high speed to make the dough shiny, smooth, and incredibly elastic when pulled.
- Cover the bowl with cling film or a fresh tea towel and just let it prove until the dough is doubled in size. Then knock back the dough to release air, and cover once more and chill in the fridge overnight.
- Take the dough out of the refrigerator the following morning and cut it into 50g or ½ cup pieces (can make about 20 pieces).
- While you don’t want the dough pieces to cling together while they prove, roll the dough pieces into smooth, snug buns and arrange them on a dusted baking sheet.
- Wrap loosely in plastic wrap and let stand for 4 hours, or until it has doubled in size.
- FRYING TIME: Half-fill your heavy saucepan or deep-fat fryer with oil and heat over 180°C.
- Use a floured pastry scraper to gently slide the doughnuts from the tray once the oil is hot. Place them into the oil being careful not to deflate them. Depending on the size of your pan or fryer, perform 2-3 each batch.
- Fry for 2 mins each side until light brown, they will puff up and float. Just gently push them down the oil after a minute to even out cooking on both sides.
- Remove from the pan, drain oil and transfer doughnuts on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Continue the process until all the doughnuts are fried, but make sure the oil temperature is just right. If it’s too hot, the doughnuts will burn and turn raw in the middle; if it’s too cold, the doughnuts will soak the oil and turn greasy.
- Let it cool completely, before placing the filling.
- FOR THE FILLING: Wash the strawberries, hull and slice them. Slice the cooled doughnuts in half horizontally. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl combine the heavy whipping cream, the vanilla extract and the confectioners sugar. Beat until soft peaks form.
- ASSEMBLY: Place the bottom half of a doughnut on the plate. Use a star tip and piping bag. Pipe the whipped topping on the bottom half. Place the top half of the doughnut on top. Pipe a small mound of cream and top it with sliced strawberries.
- Dust it with icing sugar by using a fine mesh strainer. Gently tap the side of a fine-mesh strainer to dust doughnuts on top.
- Do the same process for the remaining doughnuts. Serve and Enjoy!