Is there any other recipe you can cook for squid aside from Adobong Pusit or Grilled Pusit? Why not try this unique way of cooking your squid, street food style. It looks like Isaw..but it’s just Squid Rings in Skewers! Squid Rings BBQ, so yummy with fresh slices of onions both ends of the skewers.
Squid Rings Barbecue (Filipino Style)
- 1 kilogram squid
- BBQ Sauce:
- 1 whole head garlic, minced
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup banana ketchup
- 1 sachet oyster sauce (2 tablespoons)
- ½ teaspoon pepper powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 bundle bamboo skewers, (soaked in water to prevent burning while grilling)
- Large onions and red bell pepper, sliced for skewer
- For Soaking: enough water + 1 tsp baking soda
- Squid Preparation: Wash and clean the squids in running water. Pull the head away gently yet firmly; the ink sac and interior components will come with it. Set aside the squid heads, simply take out the ink sac and discard the tentacles. Slice the squid into thin rings.
- Marinate the squid to Tenderize: Soak the squid in water with 1 teaspoon of baking soda Just use enough water to simply cover the squid in the bowl. Let soak for about 15 minutes and then rinse and drain well. Pat it dry with paper towels.
- BBQ Sauce: In a bowl, combine all the sauce ingredients. Set aside.
- Skewer: Start to skewer the sliced onions and bell peppers first and then the squid rings.
- Prepare your charcoal griller and start grilling as usual.
- Keep turning the squid because the squid can cook quickly for about 2-3 minutes so don’t over cook so it doesn’t turn rubbery.
- When almost cook, baste the squid lavishly with the barbecue sauce.
- Prepare Spiced Vinegar: (Dipping sauce)
- Use 1 cup Vinegar or more, add a tablespoon of soy sauce, a teaspoon of sugar, minced onions, 1 tablespoon garlic, pepper and 1 chopped chilli pepper. Mix it well. Serve and enjoy!
To tenderize your squid/calamari, simply mix about 1 teaspoon of salt in ½ cup of milk. Add your squid rings to the salted milk mixture and refrigerate for 30 minutes. There are other alternatives for tenderizing squid such as soaking it in lemon juice/Calamansi juice or buttermilk.