Here’s another version of Middle East Cuisine you may like. Aside from Beef Shawarma, why not try this Delicious Chicken Shawarma Rice Version. It’s so yummmy and easy to make!
Chicken Shawarma Rice
- For the Chicken:
- 1 large Chicken breast fillet (about 1/4 kg, skinless, boneless)
- 1 teaspoon Chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon yogurt (or curd)
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon Vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- For the Shawarma Sauce:
- 4 tablespoon Mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoon Yogurt (curd)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3-4 drops Lemon juice
- *Mix it well in a small bowl.
- For Shawarma Rice:
- 2 cups long grain rice (Jasmine or basmati)
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup margarine
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- ½ Onion, grilled (or charred in the oven)
- Fresh cucumber, sliced thinly
- Sliced lemons
- Pita bread
- Parsely, for garnish
- For the Chicken: Marinate the chicken with the above ingredients and leave it for about half an hour.
- Heat some oil in a pan, fry the chicken, increasing the flame occasionally (to get the grilled effect and browned). Cut it into thin slices and keep it aside.
- For the Shawarma Rice: (You may also use plain rice, if preferred). Rinse rice, put in a rice cooker together with water, margarine and turmeric. Cook rice as you would.
- Once cooked, fluff rice to distribute color. Set aside and keep warm.
- Assembly: Transfer Rice in a big serving platter, arrange thin slices of chicken, with a small bowl of shawarma sauce or alternatively most Middle Eastern prefer “Tzatziki sauce” on the side, thin slices of onions, lemon, and some portion of pita bread.
Notes: To make the Spicy Shawarma Sauce, just add 1 tablespoon Sriracha sauce or hot sauce to the recipe given above (“Shawarma Sauce”).