Did you know? April 12, is National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day. Even though grilled cheese only needs three ingredients (bread, cheese, and butter), it is one of the most well-liked comfort foods worldwide. A cooked bread and cheese sandwich was first created by the Ancient Romans, but many other civilizations have since developed their own variations on this traditional food.
In Switzerland, it is common to toast the bread and melt the cheese separately before joining them, in contrast to France, where people adore Croque Monsieurs (grilled ham and cheese sandwiches). When cheap cheese and cheap sliced bread became widely available in the 1920s, the traditional American grilled cheese sandwich was born. It is now a standard in cafeterias, diners, and schools all around the nation.
Enjoy a grilled cheese sandwich prepared in your preferred manner, more people enjoy it with Ham, and it is called Grilled Ham and Cheese. So you can use the traditional pan, oven or even use your Air Fryer to make your Ham and Cheese sandwich.
Grilled Ham and Cheese Sandwich
- 2-3 slice American cheese (thicker cheese so it melts better)
- 1 slice ham, fried/precooked
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 slices bread, of your choice
- Butter both pieces of bread on one side.
- Place cheese, and ham in between the slices, buttered sides of bread outward (like making a grilled cheese).
- Grill sandwich on both sides in a skillet on medium-low heat until golden and cheese is melty.
- If using an Air-fryer, bake it over 180°C for about 6-8 minutes.
- Cut in half diagonally and serve. Enjoy!